Thursday, September 11, 2008

Beach Baby

Our kids have been looking forward to going to the beach all summer with their cousin Abbie. We headed up to Port Aransas on Sunday and we stayed in a condo through Wednesday. It was a great trip. We always enjoy time with Reg and Andrea. The highlight of our trip were the days we spent on the beach. Maddie woke up early and gathered her sand pails and gear.

Here she is headed down the boardwalk to the beach.


The girls were thrilled to play with Abbie.




Here is my crazy brother-in-law practicing his cartwheel!



Rob put Maddie on his shoulders and waded out deep. He gave each of the kids a ride.



Some of our coolest treasures were the sand dollars. Reg and Rob waded out to a sand bar and found a ton of hermit crabs and sand dollars. The sand dollars were still alive. Maddie loved watching the little hairs move on them.



The girls LOVED jumping waves. I think this was Aunt Andrea's favorite part too. She spent a lot of time carrying Kinley out into the deep part that I could not reach!


The girls scoured the shore for seashells and any other treasures they could find.


They also built tunnels and sandcastles with Uncle Reg.

Our last trip to the beach was when Kinley was 16 months old so she did not remember much. This was a whole new experience for her and she loved it!

This was Caden's first trip to the beach. He was enthralled with the waves. Every time we set him down, he crawled full force into the waves. I spent the whole time reeling him back onto the shore. The waves would wash over him and he would keep going, squinting because of all of the salt in his eyes. So.. the only pictures I got of him are of his back because that was all we saw of him while we were by the ocean.


This is my favorite of my lil' Beach Baby!



It is amazing to look over these pictures and think about the great time we had at the beach just a week ago. Then to turn on the television and see all of the wreckage on a beach just a hundred miles east of this one. It is hard for our simple human minds to comprehend. When I find myself asking why this week. This scripture keeps playing in my head:

My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are My ways your ways says the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts. Isaiah 55: 8-9.

It brings me great comfort to know that I do not have to have it all figured out. God is in control. My job is trust him and to savor each day as a gift from him. This special trip with our family is one of those gifts we plan to savor for a long time!

4 comments:

twarpula said...

Looks like you all had a great time! I love seeing them run & play on the beach. Cooper had a hard time he hated the sand, I'm glad Cade was really relaxed about the sand & waves. It makes for a much better time for mommy! :)

Cari said...

Looks like so much fun! I'm glad you got to travel before the hurricane came through. Joel and I had to build a sandcastle for his work recently (long story)... maybe the girls could give us some tips, as it was not too impressive.

April said...

ahh, I want to go! I can tell you guys had a great time! I love your photos..we need to get together soon so I can here the full story of your vaca

Loni said...

Cute pictures! We really need to take the family to the beach. No prob about the book. I totally understand! Thanks for offering to share with us.