Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Surfer Dude

Caden's First birthday was a blast! It was fun to plan a party for a little boy! We decided to go with a surfer theme. I had Teresa take some pictures of him in one of his hawaiian shirts. Thanks for the great pictures Granna!
I wrote up a little poem about the party. My friend Tanya helped with the invites. She has a photography business and does invites too! This is what they looked like:


As for the cake, My mom helped me this year. Our first attempt was a surfboard on waves but the boys said it looked like a dragon tongue! So we make one large surfboard for all of the guests and Caden's own personal sufboard cake for him. Maddie, Kinley, and my Dad served as our taste testers.
Here are all three cakes:



Of coarse, I had to get all the cute surfboard plates and partyware to go with the theme. Cade loved his balloons best!
I also made cupcakes with individual surfboards on them. We had hotdogs, fresh fruit, chips, and drinks. For snacks we had goldfish and swedish fish. We decorated with some great hawaiian decorations- leis, flowers, coconuts, etc.. We had two water slides for the kids. One was really for the adults. I think Rob and Woody had the most fun on it! We also had a little wading pool for the younger guys along with a fishing area. Our backyard was really full! We have been blessed with many friends and family, so we had 45 guests at the party. You know how Rob and I like to include everyone!





The kids had a great time. The rental company brought the water slide early so we all rode on it before the party. My parents are great! Both Gig and Pappy went down the slide. The girls loved that! I hope to be that kind of grandparent one day! Rob would toss the girls down the slide to increase their speed. We definitely got our money's worth because we hooked up the slide for round three the morning after the party. Cade would just squeal the entire time. He was precious!










He loved his cake and ice cream. He had orange icing head to toe. Aunt April slipped him a little icing the night before the party so he just dove in when the cake was set in front of him.











After all the friends left the party. We opened presents with all of our family. It was nice to get to visit with everyone. Party days can be a little hectic! Mimi made Cade a "wallering quilt" which he loved! He immediately dove into the blanket giggling. It was a response that I will treasure always.












He loved his wooden sorter and all of the neat trucks he got too!









We had a picnic the next day on the great picnic table he got for his birthday of left over hot dogs and birthday cake. He points each night at the football hanging in his room that is autographed by Mac Brown, a gift from Uncle Woody.

Rob and I decided that we would start a tradition with him each year. We wanted to share two of our favorite pastimes with Cade. Being the music lover that he is, Rob chose an album for him each year. This year He chose a Dr. Dog album. Uncle B joined in and got him a Black Keys one too. Being the avid reader that I am,I'll buy him a book each year. This year I got him a great Bible. I get all teary-eyed when I think about him one day reading it, being transformed by God's word. These babies just grow up too fast. Watching their bodies, minds, and faith grow has been the most amazing gift. I am trying to savor every moment of it!

1 comment:

twarpula said...

How cute!! Love the little cakes, you are always so good at those. :)