Saturday, August 09, 2008

My Daddy


Has someone ever done something that really made an impression on you and yet you failed to tell them what an impact they made in your life? I do this all of the time. I am always wanting to write someone a letter to tell them how much I love them or how much I care, but somehow I never find the time. Sad but true.

I've written a letter to my dad a thousand times in my head the past few months since his kidney donation and yet I never took them time to write it on paper. My kids are in bed and Rob is not home. I thought I would take this opportunity.


As most of you know, my dad donated his kidney to his younger brother this past May. My dad, the one who lets everyone know how miserable he is when he has a cold, or diagnoses himself with every disease he hears about on the news. My dad whom I do not think, has been for a well-check in my lifetime. Yet, because of the love he has for his brother, this man set aside all of his worries and gave a part of himself to change someone else's life forever. This is one of the most selfless genuine acts of love that I can imagine. Yet, my dad never acted like it was a major ordeal. He took it all in stride. He truly understands that we ought to love one another the way Christ loves us. (1 John 4:11) He never looked back.

I remember reading several years ago about someone trying to sell their kidney on ebay. I think the auction was up over $5 million before they finally pulled the auction. Why would it sell for so much? Ever heard of supply and demand? Not many people are willing to donate a living organ. Yet all my dad has left to show is a small mark on his stomach. A battle scar that represents his love and devotion for his younger brother. A wound that that should not evoke a feeling of disgust but one of pride.

As I lay praying in my bed for my dad the night of his surgery, I thought about how much my earthly father was acting like my Heavenly one. How God gave a piece of himself, his son, so that I may live a new life. Not just an ordinary life but an abundant one. Just as my dad did not want to see his brother suffering, spending his life mediocre, struggling through dialysis each week, Christ wants more for us. He gave his life for us and never looked back. This really makes me evaluate how I am savoring this gift.

So thank you dad. Thank you once again for teaching me a valuable lesson about unconditional love. You may not be able to quote the scriptures that convey this lesson. But more importantly you live it each and every day. You are an example to us all.

No comments: