Sunday, August 24, 2008

My Little School Girl

I can't believe it is already here. My sweet Maddie started Kindergarten last week. She has been waiting for this day all summer long. She has had her backpack ready to go, her school uniform laid out and pressed. She sharpened the whole box of #2 pencils, my girl likes to be prepared.
We prayed long and hard about what to do with Madison for school this year. There are so many options out there these days. Madison can tell you all of the benefits of both public and private school. We have been discussing this for so long, praying through each step of the process. God lead us in a direction that I never anticipated. She is attending a private Christian school called Sterling Classical School. It is a University Model School where she receives classroom instruction two days a week and completes the rest of her lessons outside of the classroom. As a public school teacher, I never thought this is the route I would take but here I am letting God take the lead.
Rob and I are excited! We love our kids and enjoy their company. I've never been the parent excited to drop them off and get them out of my hair! We are thrilled to be a part of the learning process with Madison. I really think my kids could not possibly find a better place on earth for them to learn. The teacher/child ratio is 3:2 on the days here at the house. The teachers adore them and there are almost daily field trips. There are lots of books, lots of art, and lots of silliness. In no way does that diminish my respect for teachers and for all parents and all the choices they make. I've grown up around educators, I come from a family full of wonderful educators! They are some of the most dedicated, under-appreciated people who truly love children and teaching that I know. We just feel this is what is best for our family this year.
I am excited about this year. I can't wait to do science experiments in the kitchen and watch Madison have those "Aha!" moments. I can't wait to share the world with them as a giant classroom! We have already had some really cool memories that I plan to blog about each week.
So did it make it easier, to drop her off for her first day of school? Yes and No. Yes, because I know I am still going to get to spend the majority of her time with her. No, because it is a mile marker. My baby is growing up. I still remember my first day of kindergarten! Her brother and sister were less than thrilled to drop her off too. Caden came in and found himself a seat ready for the day!

Kinley cried because she was going to miss her "best sissy in the whole wide world"! It was really sweet. Madison took it all in stride.
When I picked her up, her teacher told me that she complained of a stomachache at lunch, probably remnants from the stomach virus. Miss Carlson, her precious teacher, prayed over her and sent her home with a special note. This along with all of the wonderful friends involved at the school, is just confirmation that this is God's plan for us. I hope you will enjoy the journey with us.

1 comment:

twarpula said...

Precious!! I am so happy you all are homeschooling/Sterling schooling. It will be fun to work together on Fridays with our "big" kids. -tanya