Friday, July 01, 2011

My Inheritance

Children are an inheritance from the LORD. They are a reward from him.  Psalms 127:3

    God put it on my heart to lead a bible study this summer. So I bit the bullet and  emailed a few of my close friends wanting to start a study through Good Morning Girls.  All  five of my friends were feeling the same need to dig deep into God's word , so we committed to start the next week, within days we had a group of 18 ladies!  It has been awesome to see how God has orchestrated our group. This study uses daily scripture reading combined with Sally Clarkson's book The Ministry of Motherhood

    One of our first scriptures of study was Psalms 127:3.  I love this verse, I have heard it many times, I have it plastered in my children's scrapbooks and committed it to memory for difficult days as a mommy.  However, this time the word inheritance really jumped out at me. 
     As you know, last year Rob's granddaddy passed away.  His sweet Mimi planned out what to give each child or grandchild to remember this great man.  Rob's Uncle Terry, an avid sports fan, got his high school letter jacket.  Rob's other uncle, a writer, received Granddaddy's writing desk.  Rob's bother, who has a large collection of watches, was given his watch.  Each gift fit the receipt perfectly and represented a part of their own character, interest, or personality.
   I could not help but picture God picking out the perfect inheritance for me and Rob.  Knowing that our three children each contained personality traits that would bind us together, or spur us on in our own relationship with him. 
   God knew Rob needed someone to share his love of music, so he gave us sweet Maddie.  I love to see the two of them absorbed in a song.  Maybe God picked us as her parents to nurture that love so that she could write praise music for Him. 
   God chose us to enjoy the sweet loving spirit of Kinley.  He knew that we could help guide her big heart to love the way He loves and to protect her gentle spirit from the world. 
  God gave us Caden, to spark our imaginations and fill our home with laughter.  There have been many days that I have been frustrated or tired and yet his contagious laugh has encouraged my spirit. 
   Of course there are many more wonderful qualities that Rob and I like to think come from us!  However, there are also traits that are instilled in them that are unlike our personalities.  I have to remind myself that God made them different for a purpose and try not to reshape them into a mini Rob or Kristi. 
    Or there are times those traits are a little less enduring. Like the day Caden insisted on wearing his monkey costume to school all day last August. (Hence the photo at the top.)  I gave in, let him wear it, he survived and gave people a good laugh for the day. 
    All three of our kids are pretty strong willed and determined but I know God put those traits there too.  With his guidance we can cultivate those qualities to glorify His kingdom. I pray that I will remember this too and not try to reshape them to be the way I want them to be but the way God designed them to be.
     So this is my prayer. 
Lord,
Help me to treasure my gifts, my inheritance.  Help me to not get bogged down in the loads of laundry or the piles of dishes.  Encourage me to focus on my three little blessings from you.  Help us to grow them and nurture them into what you want them to be.  Remind me  in the difficult times that you knit these children in my womb with a plan far greater than my own.  Thank you Lord for choosing me to be their mom. 
In Your name,
Amen

  post signature

No comments: